A Band for Your Wedding
When it comes to a band for your wedding (live music), the audition process is crucial.
The focus points in finding a band are:
- Audition the band at a live music event (if possible)
- Ask the band leader if the personnel you see are the personnel you’ll get
- Does the band know traditional wedding songs
- Does the band also provide live music at your Cocktail Hour
- How many breaks do they take or is the entire reception live music
Too many times in an live music audition a Bride and Groom can be convinced that the band is right for them. But beware: Are you hearing the band at a bar, at a summer concert in the park, in a theater performing a show?
This is where referrals become so important about a band. Many bands can put on a “good show”, but that’s not what’s important at your reception. Your reception is not a show. Your reception is a living, breathing “live” event that requires a bandleader of experience to orchestrate all the details including:
- Announcing in the Bridal Party
- Communicating with the room captain through the courses of the meal
- Communicating the formalities to Photographers and Videographers
- Orchestrating Parent dances
- Orchestrating the Cake Cutting, Bouquet Toss and Garter Toss.
The band leader’s experience is key!